Friday, December 25, 2009

A Christmas Miracle!

I'm feeling the same way about Christmas this year as Flint. It just doesn't seem "Christmassy" at all. I tried like hell to get a flight home, But I left it to late, and a cheap one was not to be had. I was feeling very lonely.
To top it off, my cigar order was delayed and delayed. I have cigars shipped to me from a store in the JW Marriot in Seoul called Maska's. It's a very good store, very well managed, with a fine selection of premium handmade cigars.
Cubans!
The last time I put in an order, it went very smoothly, and I had them within a day of depositing the money in their account. But this time, I waited a week with no answer to my order. I e-mailed the owner, and he prodded his assistant to get on the stick. Then she got back to me with the final price.
Shipping only costs 10,000 won! Cheap like borscht!
After I deposited the money, days went by with no cigars. I was getting worried, Finally, on Christmas Eve, I sent another e-mail to the assistant, and a copy to the owner, Vince, expressing my discontent.
Later that day, Vince called me to apologize, and to assure me that he would send the cigars as soon as possible. Well, it was evening already, and I wouldn't be at my school (where I have deliveries sent) until Monday. It was looking like a smoke-free Christmas, and I was bitching to Flint when I received Vince's call.
When I explained about the delivery address, Vince asked me to send him my home address, and he would have them messengered so that I would have them the next day, Christmas.
I was going to wait until Flint and I had had dinner to send the address, but Flint would have none of it. He sent me home straightaway. He wanted his cigars, and you do not get in the way of Flint when he's after something he wants if you know what's good for you.
Plus, I wanted the cigars as bad as he did.
So, I sent the address off to Vince, and texted him what I had done, and he got back right away.
By this time, Flint and I were enjoying dweji galbi at Nolboo.
Mmmmmmmmmmm drool. Everything was very good, and even the kimchi had a nice little bite to it.
After dinner, Flint and I headed to the drinking area, and were enjoying some Cass Reds with a couple of "rat tail" cigars that are available at a local convenience store. Balmorals. Passable for the first half or so, but very harsh once you get towards the end.
As we were sitting out on the deck, freaking out the locals and enjoying the scenery, I got a call from the courier company. They wanted to confirm my address. I thought Vince would've given that to them, and it would have been better for them to talk to him, because their English was almost as bad as my Korean.
After a second call from them, in which I think I talked to at least three different people about the address, I contacted Vince and asked him to give them some more direction. He said he was on it, and if I didn't hear from him, that would be good news.
Flint and I went off to Seduce, a bar that makes arguably the best Long Island Iced Teas in Cheongju. And the scenery there is not too bad, either.
Flint was just remarking that we hadn't heard from Vince, which meant good news, when my phone rang. It was another delivery guy, with not too bad English, and I divined that he was WAITING OUTSIDE MY HOUSE.
Flint and I were just about ready to move on, anyway, so I told the delivery guy I would be there in a half hour or so. Flint almost came with, but he said he wasn't in a cigar mood at that time. I think he feared he couldn't do it justice, but he's kicking himself today.
In the cab on the way home I got another call, this time from Vince's assistant Enya, confirming that the delivery guy was waiting outside my house. Well, I was there within twenty minutes, and I received the cigars with great relief and appreciation for the service.
I don't think anyone in Canada or the U.S. would go out of their way like that, and I would just like to say that Vince will be getting some return business from Flint and myself.
It was looking pretty grim there for a wile, but he more than redeemed himself by making sure that his customer got what he wanted in good time.
So, if you like cigars, and if you like good service, give Maska's Cigars a try. You won't regret it. As I said, they're in the lobby of the JW Marriott Hotel in Seoul, right next to the Gangnam Express Bus Terminal. Their e-mail is maska.inc@gmail.com, and their web site is www.maskascigars.com They have good quality cigars (mostly Cuban) and you cannot beat their delivery charges.
After making my call home, and speaking to all the family, I joined Flint at the patio at Dunkin Donuts (more freaked out locals), for a coffee and a fine cigar. Our shipment this time consisted of Romeo y Julieta No. 2's, and man! Were they were waiting for! All we had was a regular coffee with the cigar (no... special... additives), and we were buzzing! Flint almost couldn't ride his scooter home he was so light headed. Nothing beats a fine cigar.
So, that's my Christmas miracle. I hope your Christmas is just as magical, and may the bleessings and peace of the season be upon you all.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic service!

    As you said Stug they will definitely be getting all our business.

    Tip of the hat to Vince.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a cigar store owner in Halifax like Vince.

    ReplyDelete