Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Memories

Ok, enough maudlin complaining. Maybe it is the booze, A Colbert Christmas, or it could even be starting to feel like Christmas. Ok, it is the booze. Sitting in my postage stamp drinking and thinking and writing about how last Christmas Eve sucked made me think of the good ones.

One of my favourite Christmases was when I was in High School. My Great Aunt had a cottage on the ocean and it was winterized. The plan was to spend a Christmas there with her. Around 10 AM Christmas Eve day Dad packed mom and I, along with 3 dogs, into the van and off we drove.

Normally it was about a three hour drive to get there. Of course the fickle finger of fate would make it more of an adventure for us. It came in the form of a nasty snowstorm with whiteouts at times. Luckily, dad was a trucker and a great driver. It took us about 5 hours of so but we made it there.

It was surreal at times though. Driving through small towns with no one in sight. The swirling snow distorting the lights and creating visions of a magical wonderland outside the van. Or just how beautiful the woods looked when there were breaks in the storm as we drove through uninhabited areas.

We stopped for a break at a truck stop (the dogs needed a break too ... damn they had good bladder and bowel control!). Mom stocked up on munchies and something hot to drink while I walked the dogs. Dad called to let my Great Aunt know we were still on the way and checked out the road reports. He said "Bah, I have driven through worse storms" (and he had) so we pushed on.

We made it to the cottage safe and sound. The storm had abated and it looked so beautiful. The only sounds we could hear was the waves lapping up on the shore in front of the cottage. The dogs made a B-line through the snow to the beach.

Inside it smelled like .... heaven. My Great Aunt had done a lot of baking. Bread, cookies. Plus she had started dinner. The air was filled with so many exquisite aromas. I am drooling now just thinking about them.

I played with the dogs in the back. Or was it side? Never could get it straight. The part facing the ocean. :) We had a ball. I lost track of time. Next thing I knew it was getting dark. The yard looked beautiful. There was a huge window in the living room, looking out towards the ocean. The lights from the tree were shining through and reflecting off of the snow. What a sight.

Dinner was fantastic. Afterwards we sat around talking. I loved listening to their stories about life. We each opened a present. It was a great night. Plus I wore myself out with the dogs. Slept like a log listening to the wind and the crackling of the fire.

Dad cooked Christmas breakfast for everyone. Sausage, eggs, toast, coffee, tea. Of course we opened presents first. The storm had finished during the night. It was a sunny and very white Christmas. Late in the morning we drove my Great Aunt to her home (in town about halfway from our place to the cottage). Then we headed home.

One of the best Christmases I have ever had.

Happy Ho Ho to you and yours.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a piece of your great memories. Tonight is Christmas eve, and yet it feels like a normal day. We're finishing to pack with my wife, as we're off to the old country tomorrow. We had pizza and french wine. 4 years abroad deteriorated my taste buds ! ;-)

    Guess what, my Dad was a truck driver too. He used to have a transportation company later on. It even became quite big before the economical crash blew it away. I myself have been a truck driver/mover for quite a while when I was a part-time. (~ 8 years)

    So I can safely say that, even if we're both from a different side of the Atlantic pound, you and me are of the same kind.

    Merry Christmas my blogging brother,

    Mister Baekseju.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyeux Noel mon frere. :)

    I always loved travelling in the truck with my father. I learned more about life on the road than in school.

    Have a safe trip home.

    And Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete